Monday 5 December 2011

Lecture 2: Value research

Before I was able to get to know the term in colour theory called value. I had originally associated it with only black and white, that was until I discovered the art of Feng Zhu.  Watching his videos via http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL?feature=watch I found his teaching very helpful in understanding the use of values and also about general compostion that is, in my case, making the foreground darker and any objects in the background lighter or faint.


In the blue coloured piece by Craig Mullins. I much like the choice of colour here in the blue, the blue shade (dark blue) is made even more striking by its use of a slightly darker blue to show the many caves situated within these rocks, the tinted blue in the backdrop for me adds to the interest of whats likely happening in the backdrop.



The image here from Makoto Shinkai's 5 centimetres per second shows good uses of colour value to present the desired mood to us, in this case a winter setting with snowfall. Almost all but for the building windows and in some small part the characters themselves are covered in a blue colour with light blue tints and dark blue shadows.



In the two drawings above, both my own and previously used in the Hues lecture blog, also shows some value, in terms of the various blue colours there, although in the buildings themselves show a darker shade of blue. The objects situated in the backdrop take on a lighter tint of blue as they get further away.

Next lecture: Saturation.

No comments:

Post a Comment